Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 7. Someone that inspires me


Donald Miller, author of Blue Like Jazz and several other awesome reads. My absolute favourite author, because he is honest and good and authentic in his faith. I just like the way he thinks.

Find his books HERE
Follow his blog HERE

Some Donald Miller quotes:


“Everybody has to leave, everybody has to leave their home and come back so they can love it again for all new reasons.” 



“It occurs to me it is not so much the aim of the devil to lure me with evil as it is to preoccupy me with the meaningless. ” 



“And so my prayer is that your story will have involved some leaving and some coming home, some summer and some winter, some roses blooming out like children in a play. My hope is your story will be about changing, about getting something beautiful born inside of you about learning to love a woman or a man, about learning to love a child, about moving yourself around water, around mountains, around friends, about learning to love others more than we love ourselves, about learning oneness as a way of understanding God. We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and the resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?

It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change, to shine out.

I want to repeat one word for you:

Leave.

Roll the word around on your tongue for a bit. It is a beautiful word, isn't it? So strong and forceful, the way you have always wanted to be. And you will not be alone. You have never been alone. Don't worry. Everything will still be here when you get back. It is you who will have changed.” 



“...sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself...” 



“Dying for something is easy because it is associated with glory. Living for something is the hard thing. Living for something extends beyond fashion, glory, or recognition. We live for what we believe.” 



“I believe the greatest trick of the devil is not to get us into some sort of evil but rather have us wasting time. This is why the devil tries so hard to get Christians to be religious. If he can sink a man's mind into habit, he will prevent his heart from engaging God. I was into habit.” 



“My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don’t really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure out there are some guys who don’t believe in God and they can prove He doesn't exist, and there are some other guys who do believe in God and they can prove He does exist, and the argument stopped being about God a long time ago and now it’s about who is smarter, and honestly I don’t care.” 



“...I want my spirituality to rid me of hate, not give me reason for it.” 



“Today I wonder why it is God refers to Himself as 'Father' at all. This, to me, in light of the earthly representation of the role, seems a marketing mistake.” 



*I did not take the above picture. I found it via google search. I took the one at the top, of the back of one of his books, and so I'm submitting that for today's #photoadayMay theme: Someone that inspires me. My kids inspire me too, and I suppose I could have taken a picture of them for today's theme. But I wanted to do something different, because a bunch of people already posted pics of their kids. Which is sweet, of course, but I like to be different. And Don inspires me in a totally different way to my kids. They make me want to be a better person, reach further, try harder. Don makes me feel comfortable in my own skin, and he makes me accept myself as I am. More than that, he makes me believe God accepts me as I am. I need both kinds of inspiration. And since there's already lots of photos of my kids on my blog, and there will be lots more, Don, you can have this one day.

I don't even know why I feel the need to explain...

Meanwhile, as I've been waffling on, the baby has fallen asleep in my lap and now my butt cheeks are numb. Gosh, he's heavy.

xo

1 comment:

  1. Love the comment at the end. How true to say you have to leave to find what you've left behind (sorry he said it much better). It's only after leaving NZ that I realise what it all means.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...